[governance] ISPs, PTA lock horns over illegal VoIP

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at uwimona.edu.jm
Mon Jun 22 17:27:48 EDT 2009

Several Caribbean countries do have bans on VOIP enshrined in their -still -
monopoly provider licenses and specifically interfere with and disrupt H.323
traffic.  Count Belize and Guyana among them. In fact, even the intervention
of the Government of Belize to secure a variation for a regional
education-related project did not succeed!

The most persuasive argument offered to the governments for the ban is loss
of revenue from the largely disreputable settlement regime of old.  Even the
large US carriers that were the biggest boosters have retired from that
particular field.  But our boys are still at it.  At least until the FCC cry
uncle!

Carlton Samuels