[governance] The dawning of Internet censorship in Germany

Charity Gamboa charityg at diplomacy.edu
Thu Jun 18 23:54:17 EDT 2009

Rui and all,

Hello!

Let me just add a few things to what you said below.

*"Perhaps we must look at mechanisms that allow for parent-controlled
filters..."*

I have worked for 6 years with teenagers where my job was to teach teenagers
about online safety and to make sure they use the Internet effectively for
educational purposes. For a while my work entailed me to set up policy
editing where I work with the network administrator in blocking words such
as "*sex*" or "*breasts*" (*apologies if I offend anybody for the use of
such words but I am trying to present the words as specific items for
explanation purposes)* in our digital library.  The only frustration that
our students have is when they research online, for instance, about "breast
cancer,"  it won't let them open the index from the search query because the
word "breast" was blocked. So they complained but we have set our user
policies that were acknowledged by the parents themselves prior to the
implementation of the policies we set. As long as these rules are within the
guidelines as set in the student's and faculty manual, we can implement our
policies, subject to deliberation when conflicts arise. They have to comply
so they use the hard bound encyclopedias available in the library instead if
some searches are blocked online. Maybe it would also be good for them to
learn how to use encyclopedias like we did (before computers and the
Internet made it easier for us to do our school work). Or maybe it will also
teach some kid diligence.. or maybe not, but we tried. Well we did our part
in school. But we are aware that once these kids go home and use their own
computers, it is beyond our control.  So we leave it to the parents do their
roles at home. It is possible to create a balance of safety both in school
and at home if both institutions work together. I am speaking in the
standpoint as an educator.

*"As for children "producing" their own porn, that is an entirely different
issue altogether and to call it porn begs the question of whether understand
what porn is and what adolescent behaviour is - children are doing it for
the thrill, just like in generations before, others smoked, drank, consumed
drugs, etc, using something within their reach for shock/ status value among
their peers. Cellphones and webcams are now part of the arsenal of weapons
within their reach to impress their peers or establish their credibility
within the group...."*

I was in the airport waiting for my flight last May and I picked up this
Reader's Digest May 2009 issue. The cover was "Parent Alert - Is Your Child
Sexting?" The article would definitely describe what porn is and how
teenagers behave nowadays. The article even coined the word "*pornopolis of
[American] culture*" when referring on how to prevent children from
wittingly and unwittingly becoming citizens of that "pornopolis."
Fortunately, I found the article online and maybe some of you might be
interested to read it, maybe as parents.

http://www.rd.com/living-healthy/parent-alert-teens-and-porn/article125454.html

My "sentiments" on this matter may be warranted or not.  But in my own
experience, we did our fair share of "censoring" but it didn't entirely
solve the problem of child pornography. My concept of "child pornography"
has evolved into thinking nowadays of how children themselves can take off
their clothes and stand in front of a webcam or snap pictures of themselves,
and then post them online. I am not sure if current legislation on child
pornography would allow children to be prosecuted for acts they are not even
aware of as a "crime" because they consider it as a joke. By the time these
sites, where children supposedly can post their naked pictures, can be
censored for such content, the damage has been done - their friends had a
good laugh, some sleazeball  might have watched it already, and yet they
might do it again. IMHO, *parents *should act as "parents" (proactive and
reactive techniques) more than being their kids' "*friend*" (indifference
and intolerance) so it can be their strongest alternative to combating child
pornography than any legislation that cannot entirely stop this crime.

Thanks.

Regards,
Charity