[governance] 300 million people have spoken with one voice "WE

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy isolatedn at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 14:14:00 EDT 2009

Hello,

2009/6/16 Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu>

>  ------------------------------
> *From:* publicroot.info at gmail.com [mailto:publicroot.info at gmail.com] *On
> Behalf Of *Joe Baptista
> So - who here can see the Chinese National TLD system?  Who can surf to
> Peking University at its official web site address used extensively in china
>
> http://北京大学.中国/ <http://xn--1lq90ic7fzpc.xn--fiqs8s/>
>
> The above URL works for me.
>
> It doesn't work for me.
>
> NATIONALIZE YOUR ROOT.
>
> One of the virtues of the Internet was that it broke communication out of
> the boxes national governments created for it. One of the reasons we should
> favor de-nationalization of ICANN is to keep it out of that box.
>
> Create your own TLD infrastructure that owes no allegiance to ICANN or the
> U.S. government.
>
> And fragment the world. Great.

We should thank Joe Baptista for his JPA comments. What he advocates is
exactly the the threat of fragmentation that the US Government would already
be considering in its decision to extend the JPA or not. Whether the US
Government takes into account the postive comments or not, it would notice
bizarre inputs and be alarmed at the threat of fragmentation, which is
increasingly becoming real. The solution lies in internationalizing ICANN
without any further delay, and pave way for a stronger ICANN with a balanced
governance structure that would appeal to all the nations of the world
alike.

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy