[governance] Can anyone surf to peking university?

Joe Baptista baptista at publicroot.org
Tue Jun 16 08:55:32 EDT 2009

see comments below:

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 12:08 AM, Yehuda Katz <yehudakatz at mailinator.com>wrote:

> Hey Joe,
>
> I think its' to technical for most on this list,
> but for thoses who 'dig' it, I supect your using the latest version of Bind
> 9.x

No this has nothing to do with which version of bind one is using.  The
Chinese root will resolve on any version of bind provided you have a root
zone file that see all of the Internet - as opposed to just the small IANA
slice of the Internet.

Also - I understand it's technical.  But there is nothing too technical
about it.  People who are involved in these issues have to deal and
understand the technical or they run the risk of being bamboozled by the
ICANN propaganda machine.

Let's not forget it was not that long ago that ICANN managed to convince a
lot of bright people that they held a root monopoly.  This was contrary to
the established technical facts.  Back then many roots sprung up to prove
ICANN wrong on the monopoly issue.

But a lot of very bright people failed to go the distance and investigate
those claims properly and the result is today those same people have a lot
of egg on their face.  This includes many members of the U.S. government who
accepted the ICANN propaganda as true.

The Chinese root system is the biggest kick in the ass ICANN has gotten.
300 million people see TLDs not available in the IANA root.  Thats very
significant.  It also creates a lot of technical error in the ICANN root.
Here a little technical overview of that.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/02/05/dud_queries_swamp_us_internet/

Today that error rate has gone up a thousand fold and a good portion of it
is due to the China root system.

> BIND 9.4.3-P2 is a Current - Production Release, published 20 March, 2009.
> Includes security patch for DNSSEC lookaside validation (DLV) Read more &
> download

DNSSEC is a joke as well as a trap.  DNSSEC is simply an attempt to create a
false monopoly at the IANA root.

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/DNS/comments/comment034.pdf

It does not address the security issue of UDP attacks.  DNSSEC is getting a
good trashing on many technical conferences these days.

cheers
joe baptista

--
Joe Baptista

www.publicroot.org
PublicRoot Consortium
The future of the Internet is Open, Transparent, Inclusive, Representative &
Accountable to the Internet community @large.
 Office: +1 (360) 526-6077 (extension 052)
    Fax: +1 (509) 479-0084

Personal: www.joebaptista.wordpress.com