[governance] Re: IGF Review Statement for Consensus

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Tue Jun 9 07:22:18 EDT 2009

Hi Avri

On Jun 9, 2009, at 12:22 PM, Avri Doria wrote:

> On 9 Jun 2009, at 08:45, William Drake wrote:
>
>> Finally, as has been discussed here before, one should not get hung
>> up on the "respective roles" clause in the definition ...
>

> As one of those who has been hung up on this ever since the words
> were first written down, i disagree.
>
> i think this is a problematic phrase, especially when one looks at
> the list the roles and responsibilities lists that were created in
> WGIG.

Of course it is, which is why we argued against it in WGIG, and why a
couple months ago, when IGC was considering a related workshop
proposal, I argued against using and legitimizing the term.  We can't
post hoc delete it from the UN recognized def, and should be on guard
for any efforts to invoke it as justification for a purely
intergovernmental construction of enhanced cooperation etc.  But in
our own understanding of what IG is, there's no need get hung up on an
empirically false wart inserted for political rather than conceptually
principled reasons.  So the point I was making was folks shouldn't
interpret this clause as meaning that IG is necessarily a negotiation
between the three stakeholder groups 'in their respective roles' and
hence conclude that the definition is overly restrictive and should be
abandoned.

I guess I need to start parsing more carefully in order to anticipate
every possible interpretation.

Thanks,

Bill

     governance at lists.cpsr.org