[governance] Re: IGF Review Statement for Consensus

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Tue Jun 9 06:22:08 EDT 2009

On 9 Jun 2009, at 08:45, William Drake wrote:

> Finally, as has been discussed here before, one should not get hung
> up on the "respective roles" clause in the definition ...

As one of those who has been hung up on this ever since the words were
first written down, i disagree.

i think this is a problematic phrase, especially when one looks at the
list the roles and responsibilities lists that were created in WGIG.

It is a way for governments to try to keep civil society, the private
sector and the internet technical community in their respective
places, for they can always claim that we are moving beyond our roles
and responsibilities.

true we can claim that governments have no real role and
responsibility in the Internet, except the consumer protection of
their citizens, but governments and IGOs will not readily accept that
(and probably not most of ciil society either).

i believe it is a pernicious phrase and one i believe that civil
society is better off not championing.

a.

ps. not currently under contract to any government or IGO
     governance at lists.cpsr.org