[governance] Workshop on Transnationalization of Internet Governance - The way forward from here (workshop 196)

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Sun Jun 7 18:20:34 EDT 2009

Folks we should try to improve this by June 15 and also establish a small
working group to run this workshop.

Details of our previous submission are below. We are lacking any suggestions
to date of co-organizers, potential speakers etc, so I believe we have to
improve that this week.

I donĀ¹t see a natural merge for this workshop.

Can I have suggestions for potential partners/speakers on this, and also a
few volunteers to be the organising group? Either onlist or offlist,
whichever you prefer

Current proposal is below.

Ian Peter

Title: Transnationalization of Internet Governance - The way forward from

Concise Description:
The Internet's present governance structures grew out of certain
historical contexts, as well as some new socio-political realities
around the Internet. In the context of rapid changes that the
Internet has wrought, the key and emerging issues related to its
governance could not have been anticipated by anyone. One thing
however is clear by now; the Internet is not just a technical
artifact, requiring technical governance with regard to keeping it
running smoothly, but a key socio-political phenomenon requiring
participative, inclusive and accountable political governance, which
includes its transnationalization. It isimportant to analyze the needs of
evolution and transnationalization of Internet governance from various
standpoints and the direction in which we might move from here.

The workshop will seek to discuss some real institutional possibilities of
what to do next, possibly presenting and analyzing alternative models, along
with the advantages and disadvantages of each.

Which of the five broad IGF Themes or the Cross-Cutting Priorities does your
workshop fall under?
Critical Internet Resources

Have you organized an IGF workshop before? Yes
If so, please provide the link to the report:
http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/index.php/2008-igf-hyderabad/event-reports/72
-workshops/392-workshop-85-the-transboundary-internet-jurisdiction-control-a
nd-sovereignty

Would you be the Workshop organizer? Yes
If so, who would you approach as co-organizers ? If not, who do you think
should organize it?
Internet Governance Caucus would like to organise this workshop, inviting
other players as appropriate

The Workshop is proposed on behalf of Internet Governance Caucus

Contact Person: Ian Peter