[governance] Appeals Court Revives the CFIT Anti-Trust Suit

Bret Fausett bfausett at internet.law.pro
Sat Jun 6 17:14:41 EDT 2009

Take a look at the decision itself (short URL at http://bret.net/COMAntitrust
  ), which contains some nice wording about ICANN.

"[T]the Supreme Court has held that an entity may be prosecuted for...
improper coercion of a standards-setting body. ...CFIT has essentially
alleged that ICANN is a private standards-setting body.... ICANN
administers the DNS and is responsible for entering into agreements
with registry operators like VeriSign. According to the complaint,
ICANN’s mission includes a commitment to promoting competition for the
contracts. ....We hold, therefore, that ....CFIT has adequately
alleged that VeriSign’s improper coercion of ICANN and attempts to
control ICANN’s operations in its own favor violated [U.S. Antitrust
Laws]."

There's a nice citation to a Michael Froomkin article in the middle of
that quote in the opinion. Personally I think this ruling strengthens
ICANN, and ICANN's independence, as it plainly says that if you abuse
the ICANN process to gain an anti-competitive advantage, you run afoul
of U.S. laws.

      -- Bret
     governance at lists.cpsr.org