[governance] RE: IGF Review Consensus Statement for Consensus (latest version (McTim's changes)

gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 16:42:00 EDT 2009

Hi Ginger,

I'm "satisficed" with this...

-----Original Message-----
From: Ginger Paque [mailto:gpaque at gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, June 05, 2009 12:47 PM
To: gurstein
Cc: governance at lists.cpsr.org; 'McTim'; 'YJ Park'
Subject: Re: IGF Review Consensus Statement for Consensus (latest version
(McTim's changes)

To MG: point taken on remote participation. So, now we have:

The UN WSIS Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus (IGC) has been
actively engaged with the UN Internet Governance Forum, the outcome of
the UN WSIS global negotiation, from its beginning and congratulates the
UN Internet Governance Forum (IGF) on acceptance of the principle of
multi-stakeholderism from 2006 until the present. We feel however, that
from the perspective of civil society, this principle has not been
fully implemented since many of those with an active, even a crucial
interest in the health and deployment of the Internet have for a variety
of reasons not been engaged in this process.

The IGC believes that the IGF has raised the awareness of both narrow
and broad Internet Governance issues among those stakeholders involved
in the IGF process, by providing workshops and dialogues based on the
multi-stakeholder principle. However, the IGC is concerned about the
lack of participation by the broader base of possible stakeholders, the
inclusion of the issues that they might be concerned to see addressed,
and with the counter-proposal to create an exclusively intergovernmental
forum driven by decisions instead of discussion.

Since the value and effectiveness of the IGF are obvious, with
near-unanimous response that it should continue, we believe that the
review should focus on addressing the issue of more inclusive participation.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org