[governance] IGF Review Process Consensus Statement

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Tue Jun 2 08:07:57 EDT 2009

Hi,

I agree that it would be important to get greater government involvement
in IGF.  However, it's not entirely obvious to me why we would want to
write to the secretariat saying this, since they are acutely aware of
the issue already.  Moreover, such a statement might be misrepresented
in some circles as lending credence to the purported need for a more
intergovernmental orientation.  And given all the views expressed in IGC
over the years on this point, I don't suspect we're going to get
consensus on the pay-off rec that "We ask whether a more substantial
output in the form of a statement, recommendations or guidelines would
catalyze this engagement."

In short, if the G77 and China want to submit a statement on their
long-held positions, fine, but I don't understand why the IGC should do
it for them.  Don't we have any distinctive priorities to convey, from a
CS standpoint?

Best,

Bill

William J. Drake