[governance] Clarifications on ISOC's Platinum Sponsorship Program

Drew Dvorshak Dvorshak at ISOC.org
Mon Jun 1 16:56:25 EDT 2009

Dear colleagues,
As ISOC’s organization membership program lead, I would like to briefly
address recent points of discussion on this list regarding ISOC’s Platinum
Membership program.  First, we are taking this opportunity to review all the
language on the Platinum level and the organization membership program in
general to ensure accuracy and clarity in descriptions of its value
proposition and benefits at all levels. Additionally I wanted to reinforce a
few of the points already made in the thread in question and also make a few
clarifications.

1. ISOC is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization and its mission is to promote
the open development, evolution, and use of the Internet for the benefit of
all people throughout the world.  It does so through support of the open
standards process; global education, training and capacity building and
principled participation in public policy and economic fora.  It does not
engage in “lobbying” activities on its own behalf or that of members,
sponsors or any other parties.

2. Platinum members indeed have the option to designate program areas and or
activities to which they would like their contribution to be applied.  The
same document referenced in the thread contains several good possible
examples.  However, in no way does “sponsorship” or “membership” constitute
the purchase of any role or influence in the management or decision-making
processes associated with that or *any* activity, ISOC itself or the IETF.
Under absolutely no circumstances does any sponsor or member dictate ISOC
policy or gain any favor, advantage or status in the standards process as a
result of a funding relationship.

3. At any given time, 2 of the organizations recognized as Platinum members
are so because they hosted an IETF meeting within the last year which means
that they paid for costs of networking requirements and meeting space
(latter applies only to meetings outside the U.S.).  At least twice in the
past three years, organizations recognized for IETF meeting support were
actually not even financial contributors to ISOC.

4. As regards “enhanced access” and “your voice being heard” this is an
example of where our program language could indeed use a fresh look and I
appreciate the notice.  After reviewing those sentences I do see how,
without proper context, one might interpret them to mean “enhanced access”
to and having “your voice is heard” in a policy forum, etc. However, that is
not what is meant at all.  It is the opportunity for access to and an
open/objective ear from ISOC staff and management that is at the core of our
stakeholder engagement model. Most importantly, this applies *equally* to
*all* organization and chapter members as well as other stakeholder groups,
not just Platinum contributors.

As you all know, ISOC is, by nature, a consultative organization which
values the intellectual capital present in the vast array of stakeholder
groups with whom it has relationships.  Organization members and Chapters
are certainly among them.

ISOC staff have numerous in-person and web/telephone conference meetings
with representatives from chapters and organization members to discuss and
solicit input on their work and important developments in various fora in
which ISOC participates.  They also pose questions for discussion, and
solicit nominations of individuals with specific expertise for participation
in various activities, etc.

Again, level of membership has absolutely no bearing on access to these
dialogues, weighting of ideas, consideration for participation in any
activity, etc.  In fact, I frequently invite representatives to participate
from organizations that are not even members or contributors to give them a
practical example of how we engage members and other stakeholders.  Also
very important is that it is frequently communicated to and well understood
by participants that such consultations are open and voluntary and
specifically not “instruction” or “dictation” to ISOC staff/management.

Thank you for this opportunity to contribute to the dialogue. I welcome any
questions or additional comments.  I am not a subscriber to the list so my
coordinates follow.

Andrew Dvorshak
Sr. Mgr., Organizational Membership
Internet Society (ISOC)