[governance] IGF Review Process Consensus Statement

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 00:42:09 EDT 2009

Ginger,

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 11:44 PM, Ginger Paque <gpaque at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> The IGC believes that the IGF has raised awareness of both narrow and broad
> Internet Governance issues among stakeholders involved in the IGF process by
> providing workshops and dialogues based on the mutltistakeholder principle.
> However, the IGC is concerned about the lack of participation by governments

Are we, really?

> and the developing world in the IGF and
> the counter-proposal to creating an exclusively intergovernmental forum
> driven by decisions instead of discussion.
>
> Since the value and effectiveness of the IGF are obvious, with
> near-unanimous response that it should continue, we believe that the review
> should focus on addressing the issue of more inclusive participation. To do
> so, governments must be motivated to participate fully in the IGF process.
> We ask whether a more substantial output in the form of a statement,
> recommendations or guidelines would catalyze this engagement.

Do we want to encourage more intergovernmentalism at this point?  Why?
I don't know if you were at the WSIS prepcoms, but sitting around
listening to gov'ts talking and getting one or 2 turns at the mic in
each session isn't the way IG should be done.  If we encourage an
output, gov'ts will revert to a format they know.  It's not a format I
am happy with.

--
Cheers,

McTim