[governance] JPA - final draft for comments

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Jun 1 04:21:42 EDT 2009

Ian Peter wrote:
> Hi Parminder,
>
> As my email before this draft explained, we are not united on any
> governance model which is why I did not include one. I for one do not
> believe that external oversight is the only model, or necessarily the
> best one.
Ian

As you say we do not agree on any governance model - but that includes a
free-float ICANN, free from all external oversight/ accountability. That
itself is a governance model, that we do not agree on. And the present
draft commends this governance model. A free ICANN cannot somehow be
presented as a 'natural' default model - that itself is a choice.

What we may  agree on, as an IGC statement, is that JPA should end.
Beyond it there are two views - a free ICANN, and a new international
accountability/ oversight mechanism. That is the principal dichotomy -
and not whether JPA ending now, or a short extension as presented in the
draft.

> Multistakeholder governance we all accept, not  US Govt centred we all
> accept, but we do not all accept externalising this.
and others do not accept internalising it.

I am not being an obstructionist. I am only showing that there is one
governance model which is clearly being endorsed here, over which there
is no consensus, in fact there are strong voices against.

> If you can find some words that express that in the draft, I will be
> happy to include them. But I do not believe there is any consensus
> here for external oversight as the only acceptable model or that that
> can be portrayed as the position of IGC.
I write this during the lunch time of a meeting, and will try to come up
with text proposals a little later. I thought my above comments may help
keeping the discussion going.

parminder