[governance] Re: Netiquette on this list

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Thu Jul 30 16:17:13 EDT 2009

This is just a periodic reminder to everyone on this list (including myself)
as regards netiquette.

Our charter suggests

" Be conservative in what you send and liberal in what you receive. You
should not send heated message("flames") even if you are provoked. On the
other hand, you shouldn't be surprised if you get flamed and it's prudent
not to respond to flames.."

Some of the specific guidelines that will be enforced include those relating
to:
*No personal insults
*No spam

If we are to be effective here, we do have to separate vigorous debate on
issues from personal attacks. An old guideline is be soft on the person,
hard on the problem. I am sure we all want to see wide raging debate here on
internet governance issues, with a diversity of viewpoints being both
allowed and encouraged. However, when this descends to personal abuse, we
are losing focus and diverting energy needlessly.

The charter does outline a course of action if the guidelines are
continually abused. This will be followed if necessary, but we would prefer
open, stimulating debate on issues to any suspensions. Please think and
reflect before hitting "send", and respond rather than react.

Thanks,

Ian Peter

     governance at lists.cpsr.org