AW: [governance] Monroe Doctrin for Cyberspace?

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Mon Jul 20 22:49:11 EDT 2009

On 07/20/2009 01:18 AM, "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wrote:

> In a meeting we had early June 2009 in Bejing, China Vice-Minister of
> ther Ministry for Industry and Information Technology (MIIT) declared
> very directly that the "securtiy and stability is priority Nunmber
> One for the exploding Chinese Internet Industry". China sees its own
> turf in Cyberspace to protect its country and interests.

I'm going to make a bit of a detour here.

My company (InterWorking Labs, www.iwl.com) does testing of internet
protocol implementations for both conformance and robustness.  The
latter part is the interesting part - a substantial portion of internet
code, to put it extremely mildely, is junk.

A lot of internet code is very poorly written - it has been tested only
under the most benign of conditions.  And it often crumbles when
subjected to packets (or transport conditions) that are completely
within the specification of the protocol but that are only newly
encountered.

This relates to stability and security in a couple of ways.

First is simply that code tested under only benign conditions is like an
aircraft tested only in good daytime weather; one should not be
surprised by failures.

Second, and a more subtle point, is this: This bad code is a time bomb
that can (and often does) goes off sometime in the future when new
devices are introduced into the net that do things in perfectly
legitimate ways.

A lot of people who have these old undertested devices tend to react and
presume that their devices are under attack.

Third, when the net wobbles, as it often does, there are people and
tools who have to go out there and perform diagnostic tests and initiate
repairs.  These people need to bypass a lot of security (and often see a
lot of private data) in order to do what they need to do.  But net
architectures, security measures, and laws rarely make provision for
this very necessary function.

		--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org