[governance] Should IGF negotiate recommendations? (Re: IGC

Ken Lohento lohento at oridev.org
Thu Jul 16 09:11:45 EDT 2009

Hi all

Thanks Ginger for your efforts. I'm generally happy with the spirit of
text (as of 15 July, even though I know there are still some issues to
be solved). Some quick contributions.

- *Regarding paragraph 3*, the text, as of 15 July reads 3rd paragraph
of that paragraph ):

    "The impact of the IGF can also be seen on a deeper level. If the
question is posed differently in order to examine the impact of the IGF
on participants, it can be seen that the participants as individuals or
organizations have gained from the flow of knowledge at the IGF which in
turn is being shared with, and influences the respective stakeholder
groups."

I suggest that we say rather "If the question is posed differently
......it can be seen that MANY participants...respective stakeholder
groups..

"Many" instead of "the participants" because we cannot be sure right
here as IGC of what people have gained or not.

- Paragraph

- *Regarding paragraph 6*, I support this suggestion from Bertrand.

> Q6 Tunis Agenda 72g mandates the IGF to make recommendations "where
> appropriate". This dimension of the IGF mandate should not be
> forgotten, but this does not necessarily mean traditional resolution
> drafting. The IGC believes that it is important in that respect for
> the outcomes of workshops and main sessions, and of the IGFs in
> general, to be presented in more tangible, concise and result-oriented
> formats. IGF participants should also be encouraged to engage in
> concrete cooperations as a result of their interaction in the IGF or
> in the Dynamic Coalitions and to present their concrete
> recommendations at the IGF, that would be posted on the IGF web site.

But Iwould like to suggest that we add to it the following sentence :
'"These recommendations should be formated in an appropriate way, in
order to be them clearly visible". (or something similar)

Just to explain my stand : if recommendations are not clearly visible in
IGF output documents, it will not be noticed that we have
recommendations. Because I'm sure that in fact some workshops did
already suggest recommendations. So I suggest that, for example, at the
end of each workshop report, we have a clear section dubbed
"Recommendations" (if recommendations is appropriate for that
workhop/session), where all suggestions would be indicated. A better
idea could be to have an IGF meeting output document called for example
"Recommendations from IGF participants", where key recommendations (from
workshops, mains sessions, etc.) would be listed with shorts
introductions. The specification of "from IGF participants" will show
clearly that we are not talking of adopted/negociated recommandations.

- *Funding in para 6 - *Ginger, I support your option B of Shiva's
suggestion (short version). I mean this one

     "The Internet Governance Caucus calls upon the UN Member States to
provide substantial funding for IGF programs and participation to be
used to further enhance the quality of programs and to foster greater
diversity of participation."

- *new addition to paragraph 6*
Reading the whole statement, I hardly see a reference to multilingualism
which is key for inclusive participation and which needs to be improved
in the current process. So, I would like to suggest that we insert in
paragraph 6, the following sentence (or edited as appropriate)

    "Multilingualism has still to be improved in IGF proceedures,
notably for key documents disseminated by the IGF secretariat on its
website, in order to increase participation and feedback from stakeholders."

Regards

Ken L