[governance] Should IGF negotiate recommendations? (Re: IGC

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Thu Jul 16 09:14:08 EDT 2009

Hi,

Sorry for disappearing for a while, I must do so again in a minute.

But on recommendations, some may recall a workshop I chaired at last IGF voting  (a light-hearted, informal, 'sense of the room' show of hands) to recommend the US end the JPA.

There was more laughter than angst at the time; though I heard afterward some were seriously upset with me that the show of hands could be misinterpreted as an official recommendation 'of the IGF' which of course it was not.

I realize my deliberate breach of preceived protocol was provocative; which was my intent.

To make the point that nothing in the WSIS texts prevents dynamic coalitions or workshops 'at' the IGF from either making or negotiating recommendations - now.

So my worry is if we get the wording wrong in a statement we may inadvertently give up that capacity for...well I don't know, but we may get nothing.

Recall Bertrand's points:

2) During the Hyderabad meeting last year, an interesting distinction was made between "recommendations by the IGF" and "recommendations at the IGF". This would mean that groups of actors, including Dynamic Coalitions for instance but also ad hoc gatherings after a workshop, could take the opportunity of an IGF meeting to prepare recommendations that they would make public at the IGF and invite other actors to join. This is a truly multi-stakeholder and bottom-up approach.

3) In such an approach, some process could be envisaged for the IGF to record such recommendations in a specific rubric, like the IGF site already incorporates the reports of the workshops. In the simplest form, the reports themselves can already contain such recommendations

Lee again: I know we have no time, but I agree with Bertrand that a process for recording and disseminating recommendations is more of an issue than whether or not recommendations may somehow emanate from the IGF process - or be made, or negotiated; since we know they can, and have already; and might again in Egypt.

Lee