[governance] Should IGF negotiate recommendations? (Re: IGC

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Thu Jul 16 07:01:20 EDT 2009

>> Also, I wouldn't want recommendations to be installed from the top. I
>> prefer an approach where workshops and groups come together around a
>> specific issues, agree on recommendations and have other participants
>> sign on to them. Such a bottom up approach may lead to forms of
>> institutionalization that are more healthy and sustainable than
>> initiatives from the top.
> The proposed text remains silent on the way recs can be developed

My suggestion would be to let formal institutionalization follow a
successful practice. We need to experiment with developing
recommendations and building consensus bottom up before we ask the IGF
to formally adopt this as a task.

Unfortunately, I don't recall the individuals who cautioned against
recommendations but, like Bill, I remember that we never had consensus
on this issue.

jeanette

- we

     governance at lists.cpsr.org