[governance] Monroe Doctrin for Cyberspace?

Ralf Bendrath bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Wed Jul 15 18:24:38 EDT 2009

Kleinwächter, Wolfgang schrieb:
> Here is a good statement from Mary Ann Davidson, CSO from Oracle,
> where she proposes a "Monroe Doctrin" for Internet Governance.

This meme has been around before:

<http://cyb3rcrim3.blogspot.com/2009/03/cyber-monroe-doctrine.html>
<http://thenewnewinternet.com/2009/07/01/united-states-cyber-security-monroe-doctrine-space-race-let-the-analogies-begin/>
<http://lastwatchdog.com/cyber-equivalent-monroe-doctrine-needed-repel/>

> If somebody expected that we will soon the end of the IG debate, the
> contrary will be the case: The discussion has just started

Right. IG is just hitting the mainstream fan in Germany and most of the
EU, especially the issues of divergent national laws on the content side
of this global communication infrastructure.

We need to have soundbytes ready that the layman as well as the yellow
press will understand.

End of cosy schmoozing with UN officials, begin of real-world politics.
Not sure I like it, but that's the challenge ahead. In the long-term
perspective, I think it's a good thing that IG is developing into its
own policy field after all.

Ralf
     governance at lists.cpsr.org