[governance] IGC statement-questionnaire Final edits

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Jul 15 07:51:24 EDT 2009

William Drake wrote:
> Hi again,
>

>> If in the same manner that all stakeholders in Norway could agree on
>> a normative framework on Network Neutrality, if it were possible to
>> be also done on the global level in an IGF setting (round-tables and
>> further structural evolutions) what problem do you have with it? Or a
>> normative framework on accessibility rights in the digital space. Or
>> even a normative framework on how governments could cooperate on
>> making legitimate globally applicable public policy principles. How
>> does it compromise IGF's unique character.
>
> I'm not saying normative frameworks are bad, I'm all about normative
> frameworks. I'm saying there are people here who believe the
> negotiation of such frameworks in the IGF would harm the IGF.
It is often about the language used, which comes from the objectives we
are putting such language in service of. You bought in the term
'negotiations' which raises some heckles (though I am not entirely
clear, why). I call it simply as development of commonly-agreed
normative frameworks in areas we can do that, and keep trying in others.
Simple.

You speak of possible harm, I speak of possible gains. How to decide
which is more likely, and what is the nature of the trade off. I have
listed the immense possibilities of possible gain. I am willing to
listen to the possibilities of harm. We can then discuss the trade off.
The parts of IGF dealing with open dialogue and those which try to
evolve normative frameworks, the kinds i spoke about, can be kept
structurally separate, whereby breakdown of one process doesnt effect
the other part. Where is the possibility of harm then. That was exactly
the direction that round-tables format, which has been aborted now, was
seeking to take.

> I say that because they have, repeatedly, for years. It's not about
> me, I was trying to reflect that the caucus is divided on the point,
> and it seems like you're just restating your side of the debate rather
> than acknowledging that others here have disagreed with it.
I am at least stating my side, you are not stating yours :) . You are
saying it is because others have held so, but it is helpful if you tell
your position, and of course certainly warn/ caution us about others
positions. "Snooze and you loose' isnt fine. But beyond a point those
who believe in one side of the argument or the other need to themselves
come forward and make it. IGC needs to also move forward in its
positions as the time moves forward.

parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org