[governance] IGC statement-questionnaire Final edits

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Wed Jul 15 07:29:43 EDT 2009

Hi again,

> If in the same manner that all stakeholders in Norway could agree on
> a normative framework on Network Neutrality, if it were possible to
> be also done on the global level in an IGF setting (round-tables and
> further structural evolutions) what problem do you have with it? Or
> a normative framework on accessibility rights in the digital space.
> Or even a normative framework on how governments could cooperate on
> making legitimate globally applicable public policy principles. How
> does it compromise IGF's unique character.

I'm not saying normative frameworks are bad, I'm all about normative
frameworks.  I'm saying there are people here who believe the
negotiation of such frameworks in the IGF would harm the IGF.  I say
that because they have, repeatedly, for years.  It's not about me, I
was trying to reflect that the caucus is divided on the point, and it
seems like you're just restating your side of the debate rather than
acknowledging that others here have disagreed with it.  I don't
understand how another round of that here and now helps us move toward
a text we can adopt by consensus.

We cannot by consensus adopt a statement based on one side of a
polarized discussion that's gone on for four years.  If you don't like
my effort at a compromise text acknowledging that different people
have different views, please draft another for collective consideration.

> No, China's position has shifted. Now it is not that IGF is useless
> because it cannot recommend. China now does not want IGF to do
> recommendations or any such thing and is very wary of any such
> moves. Inter alia, it is because it thinks since IGF has a big CS
> component we can get rights kind of stuff into IG, and therefrore
> ITU is a much better bet. We may have missed this important shift.
> On the other hand, ITU too does'nt want IGF to make recommendations.

Understood, I was just saying an open debate on recs would help negate
some of the junk that's been thrown at IGF before on this score.

Really must do GNSO and other stuff now, hope someone has the time to
integrate a doc that has a chance of being adopted by consensus.
Today is the 15th, we can probably be a day or so late but not much
more.

Best,

Bill

     governance at lists.cpsr.org