[governance] IGC statement-questionnaire Final edits

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Jul 15 03:42:06 EDT 2009

Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> On 15/07/2009, at 9:32 AM, Roxana Goldstein wrote:
>
>> I would like to suggest to add at point 7:
>> - the need of translation of the material, documents, etc., to as
>> many languages as possible
>> - the need to continue working in the improvement of the
>> participatory methodology, having as objective to assure equal
>> opportunities for the participation, incidence and appropriation of
>> the IGF for all -specially those of developing and under-developed
>> countries and minoritarian groups-.
>>
>> And of course, I would like to add me and the organization I work at
>> to the list of those who agree with and support this document -if
>> possible-.
>
> Whilst these are important points, I think broadening participation
> has been covered well already.
>
> As to the retention of "unconditional" in Shiva's text I don't think
> it has passed the test of consensus.
I do however greatly agree with the spirit of why Shiva wants this word
in. Agenda driven funds, specially for policy related bodies, can be
worse than no funds at all. Can we agree to the term 'funds with no
conditionalities' or 'funds with no strings' attached. It is common
usage in international development aid discourse and also in case of
institutional funding support for policy related bodies. I cannot
understand why should we have problems with these nearly universally
accepted terms, and the normative implications that they carry.

parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org