[governance] IGC statement-questionnaire Final edits

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Wed Jul 15 01:01:43 EDT 2009

On 15/07/2009, at 9:32 AM, Roxana Goldstein wrote:

> I would like to suggest to add at point 7:
> - the need of translation of the material, documents, etc., to as
> many languages as possible
> - the need to continue working in the improvement of the
> participatory methodology, having as objective to assure equal
> opportunities for the participation, incidence and appropriation of
> the IGF for all -specially those of developing and under-developed
> countries and minoritarian groups-.
>
> And of course, I would like to add me and the organization I work at
> to the list of those who agree with and support this document -if
> possible-.

Whilst these are important points, I think broadening participation
has been covered well already.

As to the retention of "unconditional" in Shiva's text I don't think
it has passed the test of consensus.

Apart from that I do agree with Parminder that we should not at this
stage water the statement down by including new qualifying words like
"may need", "significant", etc, or by going soft on non-binding
outputs.  Our opponents don't mince their words ("We don't think the
IGF should continue"), so why should we?

--
JEREMY MALCOLM
Project Coordinator

Lot 5-1 Wisma WIM
7 Jalan Abang Haji Openg
TTDI, 60000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tel: +60 3 7726 1599
Mob: +60 12 282 5895
Fax: +60 3 7726 8599
www.consumersinternational.org

Consumers International (CI) is the only independent global
campaigning voice for consumers. With over 220 member organisations in
115 countries, we are building a powerful international consumer
movement to help protect and empower consumers everywhere. For more
information, visit www.consumersinternational.org.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org