[governance] Question 6: Comments on Shiva's proposed paras

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy isolatedn at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 23:11:45 EDT 2009

(with apologies for having rushed this message without checking for semantic
errors)

Corrected message:
If the funding for the IGF is provided for by the UN member states, then the
statement as already been amended subsequent to your message effectively
CONVEYS the need and idea, which we hope would cause this action item to be
initiated by the UN. However, does the fact that UN has provided the initial
funding limit the IGF Secretariat from acting as a Catalyst for a Fund that
is open for contributions from Business, International Organizations, NGOs,
Charitable Trusts and individuals?

If it is a question of increasing the contribution from Member States, the
scale of increase sought from Member States on this area is not significant,
and it may not be a burden for Member States to commit and grant the
required funds, but, if for some reason the process of debate at the UN gets
delayed on this action item, or if the decision is not full, the need may at
least temporarily be unfulfilled. So the Caucus may find a way to word this
point in such a way that the idea of mluti-stakeholder contribution to this
multi-stakeholder fund is mooted.

It does not sound right that IGF as a multi-stakeholder forum is confined to
depend on contribution from one of the stakeholders only.