[governance] IGF Review Question 6 start

Ginger Paque gpaque at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 18:15:23 EDT 2009

Thanks, Silvia!

I have added Silvia's proposed text below. Please comment, add,
suggest... opine, on this or any other question, as soon as possible.

Best, Ginger

"6. If the continuation of the Forum is recommended, what improvements
would you suggest in terms of its working methods, functioning and
processes?"

Since the value and effectiveness of the IGF are obvious, with
near-unanimous response that it should continue, we believe that the
review  should focus on addressing the issue of more inclusive
participation.   More importantly, the energy not needed in a review of
the current process could be spent in the search for ways to foster more
active inclusion of rarely heard and developing country voices through,
but not limited to, remote participation.

And here we include for example, Indigenous peoples worldwide, people
with disabilities, rural people and particularly those who are the
poorest of the poor and often landless or migrants, those concerned with
promoting peer to peer and open access governance structures built on an
electronic platform, those looking to alternative modes of Internet
governance as ways of responding to specific localized opportunities and
limitations, and those working as practitioners and activists in
implementing the Internet as a primary resource in support of broad
based economic and social development.

This requires a willingness to consider the inherent limitations of
structures and processes that may have seemed natural or inevitable in
2005, in the wake of a somewhat traditional intergovernmental summit.
For example, it may not be most inclusive and appropriate for the
"forum" of the Internet Governance Forum to be conceived as an isolated
face-to-face meeting held in a far-flung city.  Rather, perhaps the IGF
should take a leaf out of the book of other Internet governance
institutions such as the IETF and ICANN, in which most work and
engagement takes place between meetings in online and regional fora, and
for which global face-to-face meetings are more of a capstone for the
work done elsewhere.

Similarly, we must no longer avoid considering the need for new
structures and processes for the IGF that would allow it to produce more
tangible outputs through a process of reasoned deliberation.  In the
past various such innovations have been considered - including speed
dialogues, moderated debates, and roundtable discussions - but always
the MAG has demurred from going through with these reforms due to the
reticence of some stakeholder representatives.  Although it may be
palatable to all - change never is - the IGC contends that the IGF as a
whole will suffer in the long term it it does not prove its value to the
international community by adopting mechanisms for the production of
non-binding statements on Internet public policy issues.

Selection of the host country for any IGF meeting is a complex
decision. The IGC considers that the location for meetings should more
clearly support participation by individuals and organizations with
few resources. Accessible (perhaps even not urban) but less popular
sites should be chosen, where airline competition and routing options
make lower costs possible. City/country cost of hotels and food should
be taken into consideration as well. Final meeting dates and sites
should be announced 360 days in advance to allow for budgeting and
advanced planning, and to ensure that transport, food and lodging is
competitive and convenient.

[Text to be re-written by Shiva]
suggest to IGF to work on ways of getting the IGF better funded to
extend unconditional travel support (as opposed to travel support from a
Business Trust which may have implied conditions) at least for
panelists. To begin with IGF may have to set up a fund to extend
comfortable assistance to about 200 lead participants (panel speakers,
team organizers etc.) which may have to cover standard class airfare for
distances up to 4 hours and business class fare for distances in excess
of 4 hours, and hotel rooms for 5 days in one of the top two recommended
hotels with incidentals considering the fact that most of the panel
speakers invited would be high profile individuals who are required to
be well treated, This would require the IGF to find between $500,000 -
$700,000 as unconditional support from Business, Government, well-funded
NGOs and International Organizations and from the UN. Such a fund would
enable the IGF to bring in really diverse opinion to the IGF from
Experts who are not the usual IGF participants. It would also help those
participants who have a keen interest in contributing to panels but have
difficulty in traveling to the IGF.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org