[governance] How do ICANN's actions hurt the average Internet

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri Jul 10 09:33:28 EDT 2009

In message <264965.18403.qm at web83901.mail.sp1.yahoo.com>, at 04:41:58 on
Fri, 10 Jul 2009, Eric Dierker <cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net> writes
>If international connectivity fell in the woods and there was no one
>around to hear it, would it still make a sound?

That question makes little sense because if no-one notices the lack of a
particular slice of connectivity, they don't need it to be there.

>Roland, everything that is international connectivity - is - because of
>it's use.

But there are many people monitoring pretty much the whole Internet
backbone, at a BGP level as well as the cables. Little will go
un-noticed.

>Names and addresses and numbers provide for that use.

They are more useful at specifying end points, than the exact network in
the middle. So ICANN is more the guardian of the infrastructure to
determine specific end points, than worried about exactly how the
packets flow across the oceans.

Maybe we also need an ICBPT ... for backbones, peering and transit.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org