[governance] IGF Review Question 6 start

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Thu Jul 9 00:34:40 EDT 2009

On 08/07/2009, at 10:42 PM, Ginger Paque wrote:

> "6. If the continuation of the Forum is recommended, what
> improvements would you suggest in terms of its working methods,
> functioning and processes?"
>
> Since the value and effectiveness of the IGF are obvious, with near-
> unanimous response that it should continue, we believe that the
> review  should focus on addressing the issue of more inclusive
> participation.   More importantly, the energy not needed in a review
> of the current process could be spent in the search for ways to
> foster more active inclusion of rarely heard and developing country
> voices through, but not limited to, remote participation.
>
> And here we include for example, Indigenous peoples worldwide,
> people with disabilities, rural people and particularly those who
> are the poorest of the poor and often landless or migrants, those
> concerned with promoting peer to peer and open access governance
> structures built on an electronic platform, those looking to
> alternative modes of Internet governance as ways of responding to
> specific localized opportunities and limitations, and those working
> as practitioners and activists in implementing the Internet as a
> primary resource in support of broad based economic and social
> development.

This requires a willingness to consider the inherent limitations of
structures and processes that may have seemed natural or inevitable in
2005, in the wake of a somewhat traditional intergovernmental summit.
For example, it may not be most inclusive and appropriate for the
"forum" of the Internet Governance Forum to be conceived as an
isolated face-to-face meeting held in a far-flung city.  Rather,
perhaps the IGF should take a leaf out of the book of other Internet
governance institutions such as the IETF and ICANN, in which most work
and engagement takes place between meetings in online and regional
fora, and for which global face-to-face meetings are more of a
capstone for the work done elsewhere.

Similarly, we must no longer avoid considering the need for new
structures and processes for the IGF that would allow it to produce
more tangible outputs through a process of reasoned deliberation.  In
the past various such innovations have been considered - including
speed dialogues, moderated debates, and roundtable discussions - but
always the MAG has demurred from going through with these reforms due
to the reticence of some stakeholder representatives.  Although it may
be palatable to all - change never is - the IGC contends that the IGF
as a whole will suffer in the long term it it does not prove its value
to the international community by adopting mechanisms for the
production of non-binding statements on Internet public policy issues.

--
JEREMY MALCOLM
Project Coordinator

Lot 5-1 Wisma WIM
7 Jalan Abang Haji Openg
TTDI, 60000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tel: +60 3 7726 1599
Mob: +60 12 282 5895
Fax: +60 3 7726 8599
www.consumersinternational.org

Consumers International (CI) is the only independent global
campaigning voice for consumers. With over 220 member organisations in
115 countries, we are building a powerful international consumer
movement to help protect and empower consumers everywhere. For more
information, visit www.consumersinternational.org.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org