[governance] Re: Mailing list guidelines

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Tue Jul 7 15:08:26 EDT 2009

hi,

The charter does contain some indication of list behavior.

Specifically:

Mailing lists will be run according to netiquette guidelines. One
guideline reference for IGC netiquette is RFC1855. One useful
guideline for all list participants is:
Be conservative in what you send and liberal in what you receive. You
should not send heated message("flames") even if you are provoked. On
the other hand, you shouldn't be surprised if you get flamed and it's
prudent not to respond to flames..

Some of the specific guidelines that will be enforced include those
relating to:
*No personal insults
*No spam

Failure to abide by netiquette guidelines may result in suspension or
removal from the IGC list according to the following process:
The coordinators will first warn a subscriber privately of the problem
If the problem persists the coordinators will notify the subscriber
publicly on the list of impending suspension from the list. Suspension
will include only posting rights.
If the problem persists the subscriber's posting rights will be
suspended for one (1) month.
Once the subscriber's posting rights are restored, any further problem
will result in another public warning.
If the problem continues to persist after suspension and a second
public warning, the coordinators will be permitted to either suspend
the posting rights for three (3) months or to remove the subscriber
from the list.
Any decision for suspension can be appealed. Any decision to remove
someone from the list will call for an automatic appeal by the appeals
team.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org