[governance] Mailing list guidelines

Ginger Paque gpaque at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 15:02:26 EDT 2009

Hello everyone,

This is not an "official" post; although I am a co-coordinator of the
IGC, the mailing list moderators are "Avri, cpsr2006, Ian Peter,
Parminder Jeet, Vittorio Bertola" (from
http://lists.cpsr.org/lists/info/governance).

I could not find any guidelines for our list at either
http://www.igcaucus.org/ or http://lists.cpsr.org/lists/info/governance,
so, of course, I did an Internet search :o)

I found several specific guidelines that I would like to share:

3.2. "Remember there are a lot of subscribers on many of our lists. Many
of them get a lot of mail and are unhappy when they get a lot of email
that doesn't have any relevance to their work on the list. ***Consider
whether you really need to share your email with every one of them
before you post."*** (http://www.indymedia.ie/ListGuidelines) [Emphasis
Ginger's]

3.7. "All users are encouraged to send private reminders to contributors
who contravene Netiquette rules. It is only if the breaches are
persistent that a moderator should be called on to intervene."
(http://www.indymedia.ie/ListGuidelines)

--"Do not make debates personal. Avoid "you" and "yours"."
(http://sigchi.org/web/guidelines.html)

--"When possible, avoid gender specific address, such as "Gentlemen"".
(anonymous)

In case you are interested, I found examples of guidelines at:

http://www.indymedia.ie/ListGuidelines#netiquette

http://www.conscoop.ottawa.on.ca/gpc/gpc_email_list_code_of_conduct_and_moderator_guidelines.html

http://sigchi.org/web/guidelines.html

A short "Guide to professional conduct" from
http://sigchi.org/web/guidelines.html

    * Do not make debates personal. Avoid "you" and "yours".
    * Try to be clear and concise.
    * Do not imply fault. Misunderstandings occur frequently; work to
      resolve them without apportioning blame.
    * Accept that having a different opinion does not make anyone "wrong".
    * Do not present opinions as fact.
    * Give some attention to accepted standards of spelling, grammar and
      punctuation.
    * Do not be dismissive.
    * Say that you agree (when you do) even if only partially.
    * Consider whether what you have said could be misinterpreted.
    * Try not to "fight to win". The purpose of the debate is to
      exchange ideas, not to score points or demonstrate inadequacies.

Regards,
Ginger

     governance at lists.cpsr.org