[governance] IGF 08 video

Janna Anderson andersj at elon.edu
Mon Jan 19 12:10:17 EST 2009

Tying in to Ginger's topic of remote participation, I just want to say that the live video posted from Hyderabad was mostly of the highest quality, with only occasional technical difficulties with the video or audio. People anywhere who have Internet access were able to follow the action, and in some situations they had an advantage over many people in Hyderabad because they could monitor what was going on in the mainstage action AND at the other simultaneous workshops.

I managed to record a lot of the video off my computer screen and I have posted 101 video clips online from various sessions at IGF 2008. I confess I'm an amateur at video encoding, and I was doing this solo in the middle of the night several consecutive nights, so there are gaps in the sessions I recorded (the coverage is also somewhat spotty due to technical limitations of the software I was using). It is good, however, to have a fairly representative presentation of IGF 2008 action posted online. You can see it here:

http://www.elon.edu/e-web/predictions/internet_governance_forum_2008.xhtml

The file sizes are large due to my lack of skill with encoding; also, I recorded them as QuickTime files so they could be copied easily. I know these two points will be frustrating for some people, but I do also hope to get the videos posted on YouTube sometime.

Janna Anderson
Imagining the Internet

     governance at lists.cpsr.org