[governance] Re: What is Network Neutrality

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Jan 14 00:55:52 EST 2009

 >>Telecoms are absolutely barred from charging content providers for
 > any special treatment of their content

 >I have gotten a little confused in this discussion.

Avri,

Although your analysis is richer than just based on this 'confusion' I
may mention here that as used by me in the above formulation a 'content
provider' is just anyone on the Internet. Whereby, telecoms should not
be able to prioritize the transmission of any content/traffic on the
basis of higher charges. This should be the defining principle of a
public Internet. On the other hand IP is an open technology allowed for
private uses, and carriers can be allowed to run VPN kind of special,
and more privately-oriented (with higher private-ness) services, subject
to a different regulatory regime, if necessary, regarding private IP
based services. But just don't name them Internet, this is the 'global
public' claim on the Internet - that we all know in a particular way,
and cherish.

Obama's technology agenda speaks of 'renewing Public Media' and 'To
foster "the next generation of public media'. Such a new public media
can hardly be fostered on an Internet with
pay-to-be-first-to-reach-the-audience models. It requires a fully open
and public Internet as described above, with an equal treatment of all
content and traffic on it.

Parminder

PS: Before anyone jumps again on the mention of 'public Internet' it may
be useful to note that Milton uses the term 'public internet' in his
paper on 'network neutrality', though he came down heavily on my using
even the relatively lighter term 'publicness' (of the Internet) which is
deliberately more nuanced, and should therefore have been more acceptable.