[governance] What is Network Neutrality

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Jan 11 03:17:38 EST 2009

Ralf

>>That is a violation of NN, as long as we are talking about transmission
>>over the (public) Internet.

>I was talking about access.

This distinction lies at the bottom of much of confusion in this debate
on this list, and it will be useful to have some conceptual clarity
around this. We can still disagree on issues, but we can try to agree on
meaning of concepts and basic analytical categories. The pipe-width to
access the Internet is something very different from nature of
transmission of traffic/ content over the Internet. I am fine, for the
present purpose, with any method of pricing pipe width, or as you say
access. But I am against any kind of pricing of nature of transmission
of traffic/ content. In case of pricing of pipe-width or access, the
control is still in the hands of the user. She can (at least
theoretically, assuming she has the money) pay more or less and get
corresponding access. However, and this is most important point to note,
when content transmission  is paid for by the content provider for
differential treatment, the control is *not* with the user. The control
is with the network operator. User can do nothing to switch between
different options, even if ready to pay differently for doing so.
Certain kind of content will be more overwhelming than other, and the
problem is that once this line is crossed conceptually, and the
principle of user control and right of equal access to all Internet
content is lost, market's known ways of dominance cascading into ever
increasing domination (on digital platforms we know this phenomenon is
even more magnified) will ensure that Internet looks like something much
closer to cable TV today that we can perhaps imagine.

Sure, other content will not (be allowed to) entirely disappear but all
such (non-commercial) content that the provider has not paid for (which
include so much of what we value most on the Internet) may become
something akin to those obscure, difficult to get and difficult to read,
pamphlets of social and community campaigns, that we may occasionally
pick up in order to indulge our morality and social/ community
conscience. The all-around glitz of the paid-for commercial content will
be too over-powering for it to be any other way. This is the structural
difference between paying for 'pulling content' form the Internet and
paying for 'pushing content' into it. This distinction defines the very
nature of the Internet as we know it, and especially its role and
potential as a democratic media.

 >this debate is over, as also McTim has confirmed.

I will like to take your word and McTim's that is no current or future
danger at all that there will be price based differentiated Quality of
Service (QoS) and speed of transmission of content ever on the Internet.
(Pl correct me if I havent worded it right.) That will solve my original
problem.

However, just is case that this danger is not entirely gone , can you
(and McTim) accept it as a NN principle  - that we should advocate that
there should not any differentiated  *price* based QoS/ speed  content
discrimination on the Internet.

We are already all agreed that

(1) Vertical tying/ bundling services by a company and/or discriminatory
exclusive business deals that make for QoS/ speed differentiation among
different content and applications is one of the most important issues of NN

(2) ISPs should clearly self declare their content/ traffic management
policies

(3) Users should have clearly laid out means of redress in case illegal/
inappropriate traffic/ content practices are found.

(4) any other ???

We all also agree that we are against censorship on the Internet.
However, I would think that since the motivations for censorship
(mostly, political/ cultural) are very different from that of curtailing
NN (economic), the two concepts should be kept conceptually separate.
This will help to deal with both kinds of problem much better.

parminder