[governance] What is Network Neutrality

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy isolatedn at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 01:19:39 EST 2009

Hello Ian,

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 9:36 AM, Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> wrote:

> I hear the call that net neutrality needs to be an ongoing discussion with
> IGF and we should include it in our submissions in February.
>
> But I have the same trouble with net neutrality

I said something as an intervention at the Net Neutrality session during
IGF, paneled by participants from the Diplo Foundation, which I with to
bring up in the list in this context.

*It is important to ensure that the Internet does not discriminate between
traffic from out of India and traffic from Pakistan, or does not
discriminate between a computer with Windows and a computer with Fedora or
Solaris. There are several other aspects of Net Neutrality that combine
together to make this an important cause but I want to bring up an
observation that Network Neutrality debates are emotional.

As an emotional topic, the phrase Network Neutrality tends to stretch as a
broader and broader theme to include just about everything. And everything
is opposed in the name of Net Neutrality. *

> as I do with end to end.
> Both are being used as some sort of architectural principle that guarantees
> the public good, when their inclusion in network architecture was more a
> feature of the simple dumb network than some sort of intelligent design to
> protect future generations of internet users from a range of abuses
> foreseen
> decades ago.
>
> Both architectural principles are subject to distortions and the future
> Internet will be neither fully end to end nor fully neutral. In fact, as
> dogmatic network architectures they have already disappeared and it's of no
> use to us to argue against internal corporate networks (a breach of end to
> end)or traffic shaping (a breach of network neutrality) and all such. It's
> not what it's all about.
>
> The purpose of both end to end and net neutrality discussions from our
> perspective should be to guarantee that a future Internet possesses certain
> qualities which have made the Internet the valuable facility it is. I think
> we confuse these fundamental requirements by making them absolute
> architectural principles that lead to these being discussed as carrier and
> network management issues rather than user issues.

*Wouldn't there be a balance if we seriously begin to be open to the
concerns expressed by the business sector to SOME aspects of the
'discrimination' - a bad word, but may have to be permissible [in a certain
context]. If a Virginia uses the Internet for business email and essential
surfing, and Robert [co-panelist] is using it to download movies 24/7, what
is wrong if Virginia is charged $10 and Robert a $100?  The emotional point
of view would assert that both Virginia and Robert are charged equally, with
the result that Virginia subsidizes Robert by $40 which is unfair. This
aspect of Net Neutrality could be unfair to the user, for example.  [ Robert
responded by saying that he would like to pay a $100 ]

I have a background in business and I am a businessman, with a total
commitment for Civil Society values. I will put on the businessman's hat and
ask you how I would survive as an ISP or Infrastructure provider if you
insist on me charging $10 each for Virginia and Robert? I don't have $80 to
subsidize Robert. How will I recoup my investments? How will I survive? More
important, how will I prosper? *

> So to me the questions are - what are the desirable network qualities that
> we are looking to protect or enhance? Can we express them another way?
>
> Some better language might help us to get better results. Governments will
> tend to understand some basic principles, but when vague terms are thrown
> at
> them such as end to end or network neutrality that have a range of meanings
> there are more likely to just bow to commercial interests who can point out
> in plain English to them their problems with the concepts.
>
> So I think I am agreeing with Carlos and George, but trying to point out
> there might be a problem in the way we are addressing the subject. But I
> don't expect to win that one for a while yet.....

*[Is there] a business model to show me if I were a telecom or an ISP that
is convincing as a sort of Google-like business model that would work to
help [a business] make billions as a Net Neutral business corporation? Why
don't we write a  universal business plan for telecoms and ISPs and other
network players to show alternate and innovative business models that would
help corporations to survive and grow as Network Neutral enterprises?  *

> Ian Peter
> PO Box 429
> Bangalow NSW 2479
> Australia
> Tel (+614) 1966 7772 or (+612) 6687 0773
> www.ianpeter.com

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy
http://twitter.com/isocchennai
http://wealthyworld.blogspot.com