[governance] A U.N. grab for Internet control?

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Tue Jan 6 03:45:32 EST 2009

>On Tuesday, 6 January 2009 12:04:04 Karl E. Peters wrote:
>
>>      Please do not confuse old with irrelevant! Is this no longer concern to
>>  you in any way because you already read it? That's a bit perplexing... What
>>  has happened since to make this a non-issue? I am new to the list and
>>  simply wondered what participants on an internet governance list thought
>>  about proposed changes to internet governance. -Karl E. Peters
>
>It is not only "old" in time - the IGF process, which started as a result of
>the two UN WSIS summits in 2003 and 2005 has provided a wider field of
>discussion, where also the old ideas have been dealt with - including the
>statements of the ITU secretary-general at the last ICANN meeting in Cairo -
>expressing an ITU perspective, quite different from the broader UN IGF
>process.
>
>I assume you are aware that all these things are in flux and cannot be briefly
>summed up - as the different opinions and positions are under discussion in
>different fora.

The transcripts from the Hyderabad meeting
critical Internet resources sessions (open
dialogue
<http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/hyderabad_prog/OD_CIR.html>)
and chair's summary
<http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/hydera/Chairman%27s%20Summary.10.12.2.pdf>
(page 13-15?) perhaps helpful for examples of
where the discussion's at now.

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org