[governance] February consultations - review of IGF

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Mon Jan 5 21:49:16 EST 2009

On 06/01/2009, at 5:00 AM, Ian Peter wrote:

> Any comments on the text below? We should try to arrive at a common
> position if possible by mid February.

In my view we need to be stronger on the importance of an
*independent* review, which ICC/BASIS, ridiculously, opposed in
September.  The appropriate place to highlight this would be in this
paragraph:

> If it is found necessary to do a expert evaluation to help the
> process of review, the process should be open and transparent. It is
> not advisable to rely solely on a pro bono evaluation, by any agency
> that offers it, for such a politically sensitive and important
> assessment.

Rather than "If it is found necessary", we should begin by saying
something like, "In order to demonstrate that the review is both
objective and transparent, it should be conducted by a body or bodies
that are independent from the IGF and its active stakeholders
(including the United Nations)."

--
JEREMY MALCOLM
Project Coordinator

Consumers International (CI) is the only independent global
campaigning voice for consumers. With over 220 member organisations in
115 countries, we are building a powerful international consumer
movement to help protect and empower consumers everywhere. For more
information, visit www.consumersinternational.org.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org