[governance] Proposal IGF mechanism through DC

Dr. Francis MUGUET muguet at mdpi.net
Tue Feb 24 11:06:07 EST 2009

Hello

I have received a few requests to have the proposal I made this morning
to be posted in writting.

This is the written basis of my oral speech, a few words might have been
skipped
during my talk and conversely.

Best

Francis

Francis Muguet

IGF Open Consultations

Geneva

IGF PROCEDURE PROPOSAL

I am the IGF focal point of the Linguistic Diversity Dynamic Coalition,
and chair, co-chair, webmaster of various WSIS working groups that are
still active to various extent.

I am speaking in my personal capacity.

I am going to be brutally honest in my assessment and then propose a
pragmatic solution.

While being supported by the majority of its participants, the IGF
process is nevertheless in a difficult position, because its usefulness
is criticized from two parties. From one side, there are stakeholders,
that are more in favor of an intergovernmental process because they feel
that there is a lack of output, in particular in terms of
recommendations. On the other side, there are stakeholders who perceive
the IGF as annoyance that could be avoided, and would be glad to revert
to the old ways before the WSIS. Both sides, could, from outside the IGF
process, at the CSTD level, the ECOSOC level, impose an external review.

According to the Tunis Agenda :
/*76.*// //*We ask the UN Secretary-General*// to examine the
desirability of the continuation of the Forum, in //_formal consultation
with Forum participants_//, within five years of its creation, and to
make recommendations to the UN Membership in this regard//./

I agree with Markus Kummer that normally all review processes are
performed by people that are not stakeholders directly involved in the
activity under review. Even a 'internal review" means usually review by
people in the same organization, with no outsiders, but not by the very
people involved in the activity.
Whatever the type of review, it is unavoidable that the extent to which
each point of the mandate is going to be precisely assessed. It is clear
also the review report is going to be the basis of the recommendations
of the UN Secretary General is going to send, along with the review
report, to the UN general assembly who is going to have the final say.

Let us examine briefly the Tunis agenda and assess the progress that
have been made.
Concerning IGF organization :
/
//78. The UN Secretary-General should extend invitations to all
stakeholders and relevant parti//
   2.       //establish an effective and cost-efficient bureau to
support the IGF//,
/ *not fulfilled, *no bureau has been established,

Concerning the IGF mandate

/*7**2. We ask the UN Secretary-General*, in an open and inclusive
process, to convene, by the second quarter of 2006, a meeting of the new
forum for multi-stakeholder policy dialogue---called the Internet
Governance Forum (IGF). The mandate of the Forum is to:/

   /5.    //  Advise all stakeholders in proposing ways and means to
accelerate the availability and affordability of the Internet in the
developing world.//
      /*Not fulfilled*. There is no advisory document in the name of
IGF, or from the IGF, on this topic

   /7.    //  //Identify emerging issues, bring them to the attention of
the relevant bodies and the general public, and, where appropriate, make
recommendations.//
       /*The point is not fulfilled* at all.

   /9.       //Promote and assess, on an ongoing basis, the embodiment
of WSIS principles in Internet governance processes.//
       /*Not fulfilled. *There is no assessment document in the name of
IGF on this topic  /
 /.
  /12. //Publish its proceedings//
        / OK, fulfilled partially, Are transcripts proceedings ?

It might be supplemented by a scientific proceeding ( it is suggested a
special issue of /Future Internet/
<http://www.mdpi.com/journal/futureinternet> (ISSN 1999-5903), a new
open access journal where contributions are formatted in terms of papers.).

 Personally I see that the un-fulfillment of articles 5, 7 and 9 of the
mandate is linked to the lack of  establishment of a bureau.   Since
there is no bureau,  no rules of procedures can be determined so that
documents , statements, recommendations can be produced in the name of
the IGF. It appeared to me, for a long time, as a stalemate without
solution. .

 At the end of the Hyderabad meeting, I envisioned a way that could
offer a pragmatic
compromise with the help of the Dynamic Coalitions, a completely
unexpected concept
that arose during the IGF .and I am developing further this idea now

Considering key article 7 :
/Identify emerging issues, bring them to the attention of the relevant
bodies and the general public,

/It could be considered that the creation of Dynamic Coalition on some
issues pertains
to the task of identifying emerging issues. ( emerging : that emerge
from the debate  to differentiate from   emergent issues, meaning  new,
novel  topics  ) . _By facilitating the creation of Dynamic Coalitions
recognized by the secretariat and listed on the IGF web site,  the IGF
has fulfill its mandate to _/_Identify emerging issues._/The dynamic
coalitions are effectively bringing the issues to /the attention of the
relevant bodies and the general public/.  So this works.
/
 and, where appropriate, make recommendations./

following this line of reasoning,  it is the dynamic coalitions that are
making recommendations.
The set of the DC recommendations is regrouped in one document entitled :
 _Recommendation __*at*__ the IGF._
 The *at * is put in bold instead of *of*  to make it clear that it is
the recommendations
 made by the IGF entities that have been recognized by the IGF as
dealing with emerging issues. The Recommendation *at* the IGF does not
have to be in agreement with one another, depending  on each DC approach.

In addition The MAG could held sessions dedicated to the agreement of
DCs, and those sessions  be called Bureau session, since in some sense,
there are dealing with procedural issues that may lead to recommendation
*at* the IGF.

/5.      Advise all stakeholders in proposing ways and means to
accelerate the availability and affordability of the Internet in the
developing world./
may be fulfilled by asking DC to producing advisory documents for this
topic.
 Similarly,   the set of advices of each DC could be regrouped in  a
document
 called :
 _Advices __*at *__the IGF  concerning ways and means to accelerate the
availability and affordability of the Internet in the developing world._

and also
  /9.       Promote and assess, on an ongoing basis, the embodiment of
WSIS principles in Internet governance processes./
may be fulfilled by asking DC to producing promotion and assessment
documents for this topic.  Similarly,   the set of documents of each DC
be regrouped in  one general document  called :
 _Assessement __*at *__the IGF  concerning the embodiment of WSIS
principles in Internet governance processes.._

and in this way the IGF could be considered as having fulfilled its
entire mandate.

The IGF process has not lived up to the expectations of many,  but also
to the fears of many...
Its role is crucial, and the IGF must be continued.

Now considering the consultations process since the DC are playing a
formal role in the IGF, the / //_formal consultation with Forum
participants_/ could be conducted, possibly partially, through the
dynamic coalitions.

In this way, we have a legal and political coherence both for the
implementation of the mandate and the consultation.

Francis F. MUGUET Ph.D

MDPI Foundation Open Access Journals
http://www.mdpi.org   http://www.mdpi.net
muguet at mdpi.org       muguet at mdpi.net

ENSTA/KNIS  http://knis.org
32 Blvd Victor 75739 PARIS cedex FRANCE
Phone: (33)1 45 52 60 19  Fax: (33)1 45 52 52 82
muguet at ensta.fr   http://www.ensta.fr/~muguet

PC4D : http://www.pc4d.org

World Summit On the Information Society (WSIS)
Civil Society Working Groups
Scientific Information :  http://www.wsis-si.org  chair
Patents & Copyrights   :  http://www.wsis-pct.org co-chair
Financing Mechanismns  :  http://www.wsis-finance.org web