[governance] Internet for All ... this time from the UK

Cave, Jonathan cave at rand.org
Sun Feb 1 17:12:01 EST 2009

It depends on the quid pro quo. If BB for all means infrastructure paid out of public funds, it is potentially a gift to all telcos. If paid by a univ svce fund or regulatory relief, it's a gift to the most-regulated telco, and raises competition concerns. But if the assumption that universal BB unlocks net economic gains (including ways to mobilise the economic power of those newly-connected), it is a gift from society to itself.

J.