[governance] IGF Workshop reports

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu Dec 31 08:24:15 EST 2009

In message <4B3C8AC9.8000401 at wzb.eu>, at 11:28:09 on Thu, 31 Dec 2009,
Jeanette Hofmann <jeanette at wzb.eu> writes
>such things are always subject to negotiation. If you ask me, Alice
>should be able to convince the secretariat that she wasn't in a
>position to write a report. So should be your guy who dropped out.
>Co-organizers, on the other hand, should be grown up enough to share
>the responsibility to deliver a report. But there are just my personal
>thoughts.

I'm primarily concerned about the multitude of people mentioned as
co-organisers, who may not realise that their future prospects could
depend upon a report being filed.

Maybe one way out is to differentiate between Joint Proposers, and
"Co-organisers to be approached" (to use the language of the website).

Roland.

>Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <4B3B872A.4010908 at wzb.eu>, at 17:00:26 on Wed, 30 Dec
>>2009,  Jeanette Hofmann <jeanette at wzb.eu> quotes Marcus Kummer:
>>
>>> We all agreed to make submission of a workshop report a prerequisite
>>>for accepting a workshop proposal for the Vilnius meeting. The new
>>>deadline will give us a clearer picture of how many potential
>>>organizers we may have next year by the time we meet in February.
>>  There's an aspect of this which puzzles me slightly: Several
>>workshops  were merged, which has left the definition of "organizer"
>>unclear.
>>  Let's say that Tom, Dick and Harry all proposed workshops on similar
>>topics, and merged. From then on, Tom did all the administrative work,
>>Dick helped him, but Harry dropped out after he'd passed the contact
>>details for his proposed speakers to Tom.
>>  Harry had also originally said in his proposal that he was
>>co-organising  his workshop with Alice, but in fact had never
>>contacted Alice to  confirm this, and she knows nothing about it.
>>  Tom failed to file a workshop report on time, does that also
>>disqualify  Dick or Harry (and Alice?) from proposing a workshop in
>>their original  individual capacities for Vilnius?

Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org