[governance] 'search neutrality' to go with net neutrality

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 10:03:46 EST 2009

McTim and all,

I have immense respect for Lauren Weinstein and particularly his work with
the Privacy Forum and I have no expert knowledge in the underlying argument
either of the original article by Raff or the article pointed to in
Weinstein's piece but clearly Weinstein has misread the Raff article (or
I've missed something important...

The Raff article is pointing to some significant risks from the dominance of
one company (Google) as the primary interface with the world wide web of
knowledge/information... Surely a significant (potential) issue in itself...

The rather (what seems to me) tenuous links of the Raff article to the
anti-NN argument are hardly sufficient to dismiss the basic question that
Raff is asking about the need for a policy/regulatory assessment of the
significance of Google's market dominance in this core area of Internet
development and value.