[governance] Co-coordinator Election Results

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 20:11:18 EST 2009

We ought to look at two discrete but related issues (1) How one
establishes themselves as a member and/or is purged from member voting
rights, and (2) The issue of anonymity as it creates serious issues
for ballot stuffing if both the listserv "public" and/or election
administrators are unable to solidly verify voter identity.

Issue (1):  Earlier in this thread, the act of voting in this
particular coordinator election was termed an "affirmation" (sigh) of
membership.  This is peculiar and, as far as I can recall at this
moment, unprecedented in this respect:  The percentage of people who
vote is always, even in those cases where failure to vote is a
criminal or civil violation, some fraction of the whole of 100%.  Only
where the failure to vote is repeated over several elections AND not
accompanied by any other statement of intent to remain or be a member
are voters effectively dropped from membership.   The policy that
voting in this particular election defines future voting membership
sets a presumption in favor of exclusion rather than inclusion.  There
are numerous legitimate reasons why good members would either
intentionally not vote, or not be able to vote for a week or more due
to travel or illness, or not be able to decide on the best candidate
in time for the end of the election.  None of these non-voters should
be prevented from voting in the future (if indeed there's any such
intent regarding future elections).

The thing to do is send SEVERAL emails over a significant course of
weeks (plus other communication methods if possible) to insure as
close to 100% chance of actual notice to potential voters before any
are purged.  If the voter is real and participating in conversations
on this listserv from time to time, that in itself should relieve
administrators of any efforts related to possibly purging that voter.
With an appropriate presumption of inclusion rather than exclusion, it
should be relatively easy to register to vote (provided there are the
proofs of identity and no double voting, see below) and relatively
difficult to purge a member from the voting rolls.

Issue (2) On the second concern: If I understood this thread
correctly, then it is possible to be a voting member without any of
the other voting members knowing who the anonymous person is (under
any circumstances, provided the anonymous member acts appropriately so
as not to "blow their cover."  Presumably, list administrators have