[governance] Co-coordinator Election Results

Fearghas McKay fm-lists at st-kilda.org
Mon Dec 21 18:13:09 EST 2009

On 21 Dec 2009, at 15:08, Craig Simon wrote:

> FYI, like STV, the system I've been developing emphasizes ranked
> choice voting. It uses a combination of Borda Count and Instant
> Runoff Voting algorithms to tabulate results.

One of the advantages of STV is it that it is relatively simple to
explain, but even then it usually needs an explanation to a
significant percentage of the electorate.

Is the addition of Borda Count & Runoff Voting algorithms were the
extra complexity of explaining ? Is Better the enemy of Good Enough?

Simplicity is always easier to sell and understand - once you start
talking about Borda Counts et al I get confused and I am involved with
running elections most years for co-chairs/fellow directors.

For occasional electors complex voting systens are a barrier to
understanding and believing in the election process, in my opinion.

Perhaps even for regular electors.

Regards

     governance at lists.cpsr.org