[governance] Co-coordinator Election Results

Fearghas McKay fm-lists at st-kilda.org
Mon Dec 21 09:09:51 EST 2009

On 21 Dec 2009, at 13:31, Rui Correia wrote:

[snip a lot of mailing list hacking]

> Hope (some of) this helps.

I am failing to understand a couple of things:

We have a formal process for identifying voting members as it stands
so why should the mailing list duplicate that process? Not everyone on
the list may wish to be a member or may for various other reasons be
unable to formally join.

Not everyone can just set up redirects of email, I fail to see why
they can't have multiple subscribed addresses on the list.

I do object to the idea of a list of all the subscribers being posted
every week for a month.

Removing the bouncing subscriptions seems about the right level of
list pruning to me.

----

Moving onto election processes - can I suggest consideration of STV
voting? Single Transferable Vote http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_transferable_vote
  .

We use it within Working Groups at the RIPE RIR for electing Co-
Chairs, eg the two recent EIX-WG elections, and it is used in Euro-IX
the IXP trade association for Board Election. It allows a voter to
express preferences as well as a single choice candidate. You only
vote for who you want to vote for, even if it is only one person.

And of course congratulations to Jeremy, and thanks to Ian for all
your hard work. Commiserations & thanks for standing to the other
candidates.

Regards

	Fearghas

     governance at lists.cpsr.org