[governance] CFC: Business Organizations and Collaborative

Kamna Malik kamna.malik at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 14:13:47 EST 2009

Deirdre, I also subscribe to the ethic of sharing and open content.  Perhaps
it is a matter of time but ultimately, academic publishers and their
contracts will also evolve with this growing phenomemon of open content.

However, I also believe that sharing  or protecting knowledge are two
separate schools of thought.  Both have their own merits/demerits, their own
audience and both co-exist today.  More important is that publishers/editors
appraise the authors about the contractual needs, if any, well in time.

Well, coming back to the CFC that raised this discussion - yes, there is an
agreement required for transfer of copyright which will be shared with the
potential contributors in initial stages though signing up will take place
only after acceptance decision is made.  In this case, the author still
retains the intellectual property of the content.

Hope this clarifies that the intent here is not to trap any colleague but to
get the contemporary thoughts and practices across to even those readers
who still pick their readings from the publisher catalogues.