[governance] Re: 2009 Predictions Survey invitation

Rebecca MacKinnon rebecca.mackinnon at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 13:13:30 EST 2009

I found the binary and linear assumptions behind the questions to be
frustrating and unrelated to reality. I ended up choosing neither in most
cases.
Best,
Rebecca

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Eric Dierker
<cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> I do not predict but I know.  Mass information at our fingertips is
> growing. Ease of access and universality is becoming a reality. This we have
> seen for a decade.  But what we cannot control and what is becoming a common
> truth is  that we are learning to use this knowledge base.
>
> As it takes a pianist time to master the keys, as it takes an athlete years
> of training to reach a pinnacle, so it is also true with knowledge. As
> individuals we are mastering our abilities and it is becoming common place
> to not only access but to appropriately apply that knowledge.  As
> individuals master and display and add to others quality of life, they, by
> example attract others -- we see this in workplace, home and family, school
> and entertainment.  This synergism is too powerful to control, too good to
> rein in and invincible in the battlefield of social justice.
>
> We will see in the coming decade a change in paradigm.  Governance will
> change from the primary need to control those governing to a more
> enlightened approach of empowering the governed.  Knowledge will begin to
> replace hype and marketing and soundbites.  Reason with a foundation in
> truth will begin to replace herd mentality.  The most unnoticeable yet most
> overwhelming force will be a shift in language communication that will allow
> those now separated by perceived lack of commonality to become inseparable
> by common understanding.
>
> There is and will be a major war like never before seen.  It will be the
> institutionalized machinery of conflict whose main weapon is ignorance
> versus the universal acceptance of rights and diversity whose main weapon is
> knowledge and understanding. There is no doubt that in this conflagration
> that finally reason will triumph.

IMPORTANT: My Hong Kong University e-mail (rmack at hku.hk) will stop working
in January. Please use my gmail instead (see below).

Rebecca MacKinnon
Open Society Fellow | Co-founder, GlobalVoicesOnline.org
Tel: +1-617-939-3493
E-mail: rebecca.mackinnon at gmail.com
Blog: http://RConversation.blogs.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rmack