[governance] On Funding and Incorporation

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 19:46:15 EST 2009

Dear Bertrand,

Your ideas are very similar to what I shared elsewhere on the thread
on this and is given below:

Fouad Bajwa to	governance at lists.cpsr.org, William Drake
date	Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 5:41 PM
subject	Re: [governance] IGC All members should opine: this is important
Dec 12 (1 day ago)

Dear all,

What Bill shares strikes a very good set of points that also tend to
answer Siva's question and many of the questions that are popping up
including where is the project but the point I've been trying to
emphasize on is where is the consensus and the consensus has to be
managed the same way we build consensus for all our initiatives:

IGC at the moment has 6 critical projects either in adoption or application:

1. IGC on Internet Rights
2. IGC on Development Agenda for Internet Governance or simply IG4D
and the Political Economy of IG
3. IG Capacity Building
4. Developing Country Participation
5. CS Monitoring and Evaluation as well as Impact Assessment of the IGF .
6. IGC Infrastructure both brick and mortar as well as the Cloud

I recollect and suggest the following few things:

1. We could reformulate and reorganize or simply said,
institutionalize (both legally and infrastructure) in Geneva as IGC an
international CS organization with a permanent address and location in
Geneva giving us a brick and mortar identity and a recognition that we
do exist as an off-line office-d Civil Society Organization that
organizes itself, its mission, its objectives, its members virtually
and monitors the IGF and works closely with the IGF Secretariat to
achieve maximum Civil Society stakeholder engagement in the IGF.

2. All CS members of IGC from their various countries host the liaison
or country offices or country group spaces of IGC meaning, IGC Brazi,
IGC India, IGC (country) and connect with the Umbrella IGC in Geneva.
Board selections and officers will be on a one year rotation enabling
everyone to participate in its official role and its management. Seats
will be equally allocated between developing/developed world CS
Individuals, Groups, Communities, Associations, Academia and Research
so that a balance is maintained for self-organization.

The structure can be full voluntary with paid staff if the funds
available. The role is facilitation of CS in the IGF process in
accordance with the IGC Charter that already exists. We need to plan
and organize our strategy. Bill is based in Geneva and so are some of
our IGC members that can play this important first step to organizing
the on ground presence of IGC in Geneva. The IGC Co-ordinator can be
suggested to be IGC's first step into managing the Geneva office with
the officers helping found it. The IGC Co-ordinator with the
Co-Coordinator can lead this with the board.

3. There are lot of project directions including our combined IGC
stances on Internet Rights, Development Agenda, Capacity Building and
Developing Country Participation and finally the CS Monitoring and
Evaluation as well as Impact Assessment of the IGF . These are five
critical areas to take forward plus six the infrastructure. The IGC
Headquarters in Geneva can act as a facility that could help in
assisting participating CS members in Geneva providing a space for
meets, helping out in campaigning, training, educating, facilitation
preparations for open consultations and MAG meetings. I see a large
number of engagement points for the IGC in Geneva. Its collaboration
with Diplo Foundation, the EURODIG, the South IG Summer School
capacity building initiatives, Research and Developments based on
Kati's idea, advocacy based on Jeremy's ideas, having a strong centre
on the ground in Genvea gives the strong structure that Civil Society
is evolving

4. We need our own IGC Cloud/Server environment (could be a cloud
service or hosted at a partner university). We need a single domain
infrastructure to host a multitasking activity environment including
our website, our mailing list, our social network and our action
oriented action environment. Basically our communication plan and
infrastructure.

Let me come back to you with more clear ideas, suggestions on this.

--
Regards.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org