[governance] UNESCO CI News: "UNESCO and ICANN sign partnership agreement to promote linguistic diversity on Internet"

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri Dec 11 05:54:49 EST 2009

In message
<3118A9AF91FFCE45A53E8B17C8537660FAFD76 at MAILSERVER-02.hq.int.unesco.org>,
at 18:07:18 on Thu, 10 Dec 2009, "Beccalli, Andrea"
<a.beccalli at unesco.org> quotes a press release:

>A significant step was taken on 10 December 2009 towards greater
>linguistic diversity on the Internet when UNESCO signed an agreement
>with ICANN - the body that assigns online addresses to Internet users

While I applaud the IDN movement, most of my "online addresses" have
been assigned by a cctld or gtld operator. I live in hope of one day
getting one assigned direct by ICANN - the most likely (but not
especially likely) being chosen as the operator of a new tld.

>Non-Latin script users will eventually have access to internet addresses
>completely in their own language.

This is perhaps the most important and final step.

I wonder if there's a list anywhere of "www." translated into many
scripts? And will the rfcs that mention "postmaster@" be updated to
allow a foreign script version of the expression? And what would that do
for the deliverability of those essential emails to the postmaster?
[Apologies if this has all been sorted out, and I hadn't noticed]
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org