[governance] IGC

Jacqueline A. Morris jam at jacquelinemorris.com
Sun Dec 6 20:42:26 EST 2009

Hi Tracy

As a member of several Ning communities, I'd like to say that straight
membership numbers are not really a good indicator of the vibrancy of a
group - lots of people join and visit very rarely and post even more rarely.
Ning's notifications aren't great, in that they do work very hard to get you
to visit the site to keep updated,( and the mobile site shows up  poorly on
my phones) as opposed to sending the content of the update via the email
notification, so that people can keep up with the discussion without having
to visit the site.

So I'd love to see some data on how many of the 646 people have posted, how
often they access/read the posts and discussions etc. and compare with the
activity on the mailing list to really compare apples and apples.

I'm a total social network person, but I've found that they do not work well
for many situations, and we always need to look at the needs, audience and
objectives before talking about changing the tools.

Jacqueline