[governance] IGC documents and organization (Katitza)

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 13:46:17 EST 2009

I think this discussion can also be moved to the IGF retructuring
thread because while we discuss the IGF restructuring issues, we can
also share our concerns of what should IGC do to
enhance/strengthen/deepen its role in the IGF Process as a whole?

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 9:28 PM, Ginger Paque <gpaque at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Katitza, and welcome as an active participant in the IGC. I am very
> excited about the discussions you are suggesting, and hope you will
> facilitate the work to bring these ideas to fruition.   Can you propose a
> working method to take advantage of your expertise and interests and tell us
> more about what you would like to do, please!
>
> There are two discussions open on the list right now, where your input will
> be valuable: concrete proposals for the IGF, (see Re: [governance] Proposals
> for Restructuring of the IGF) and a comment to ICANN's Strategic Plan. (see
> Re: [governance] ICANNs Strategic Plan 2010 - 2013).
>
> We also need to keep in mind that the IGC is a very diverse group with
> different priorities and viewpoints, so it is not possible or necessary to
> reach consensus on all points: individuals, dynamic coalitions, ngo's and
> other groups work in their areas of specific interest. These groups produce
> excellent work, like (in my opinion) the recent APC statement after the IGF,
> the Madrid Declaration, the current IRP work, the current APC charter
> review, and many others. However, a document produced by the IGC has to
> address so many different viewpoints, I wonder how we can end up actually
> saying anything: two things will usually happen: either we get a watered
> down statement that everyone can agree with, so it is pretty bland, or we
> specify that "some members suggest that A, while others feel that B" so we
> do not make a strong, unified point either. However there is no doubt that
> we learn from the discussion process, and have made good statements in the
> past. Now is an important time to prepare a statement for the Open
> Consultations, so you have plenty to work on!
>
> More importantly, I agree with you that the IGC offers us a space to discuss
> our current concerns so that we can stay up-to-date with the work that
> everyone is doing in their particular areas, so we can each support the
> documents and activities of our choice.  Members post their work and links
> to their documents so we can sign on, comment, collaborate or support them.
> I think this is a very important facet of the IGC and I know that you will
> continue to help us with this work. Please make a concrete proposal or start
> the discussion thread(s) necessary to initiate the organized efforts that
> you propose.
>
> Thanks! I look forward to taking advantage of your energy.
>
> Saludos, Ginger
>

> Katitza Rodriguez wrote:
>
> Dear IGC members:
>
> I would like to see the IGC grows as a caucus. Grow not only in terms of
> members but grows in terms of outcomes/deliverables and capacity of
> organization.
>
>  It is vitally important that IGC produce their own papers to address the
> most relevant topics at the IG level. It is equally important that IGC can
> take into account also all those collective civil society papers that were
> [...]

Regards.
--------------------------
Fouad Bajwa
Advisor & Researcher
ICT4D & Internet Governance
Member Multistakeholder Advisory Group (IGF)
Member Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus (IGC)
My Blog: Internet's Governance
http://internetsgovernance.blogspot.com/
Follow my Tweets:
http://twitter.com/fouadbajwa