[governance] IGC documents and organization

Katitza Rodriguez katitza at datos-personales.org
Sun Dec 6 12:37:13 EST 2009

Dear Ginger:

Sure. We can start with something specific and concrete.  I can list
those documents that I am familiar with, which has been written by
civil society organizations, bloggers, grassroots activists. It  would
be nice to have them on the website. People can add others too.

I can list some papers on the areas of Copyright in the digital
environment, Access to Knowledge, Privacy (which is my area of
expertise, and the area I am working on now). Many others can
contribute to expand the list too in this area and others of course:
Access to broadband, Freedom of Expression, Due Process of Law, etc.

Just for example, consumer organizations has develop a Consumer Rights
Charter. This is a partnership between EU and US  consumer
organizations (TACD.org) TACD is a project of Consumer International.

For example:

Resolution on Social networking 05/07/2009
Resolution on Marketing to Children online 04/08/2009
Charter of Consumer Rights in the Digital World 03/01/2008
Resolution on Net Neutrality

Those papers can help us in our advocacy work.

II. Regarding participation on the ICANN plan

My participation at IGF is concentrated in some emerging privacy
issues that  I will definitely always bring it into the table at the
IGC, and other spaces. I also happy to bring into the table others
consensus views from civil society on other Human Rights issues.

IV. Regarding the process of IGF: I consider IGF a place to do
advocacy work and I would prefer to focus on the advocacy part (and
being an observer of the process).

On this line, I remember a comment from Wolfgang Kleinwächter in an
email to the IGC:

<quote>In diplomacy governments have the tricky technique to have a
consensus on the basis of "agree to disagree". They can continue with
totally opposite positions in something what they called for years a
"peacful coexistence", hating each other, fighting against each other,
but agreeing in issues of "common interest" as the governments of the
United States of America and the Soviet Union did during the cold war
on SALT, Start, ABM and others. </quote>

On the Consensus: I am happy to disagree. We should not always agree
in everything.

Wolfgang K. wrote in this list a few weeks/months ago.

He said: "Consensus: We agree to things we should never agree to"

His message was stored in my mind.

We should have clear in which issues we agree on, and in which others
we do not agree on.

Finally:

> More importantly, I agree with you that the IGC offers us a space to
> discuss our current concerns so that we can stay up-to-date with the
> work that everyone is doing in their particular areas, so we can
> each support the documents and activities of our choice.  Members
> post their work and links to their documents so we can sign on,
> comment, collaborate or support them. I think this is a very
> important facet of the IGC and I know that you will continue to help
> us with this work. Please make a concrete proposal or start the
> discussion thread(s) necessary to initiate the organized efforts
> that you propose.

I fully agree with this. It is a very powerful tool.

Warm Regards,

Katitza