[governance] Statement by IGC supporting rights and principles

Eric Dierker cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 23 21:16:25 EDT 2009

This is a very important aspect.  There are some on this very list that want to limit free speech to only those people that they think they know.  Clearly this would require personal data being made private in order to gain access to a voice in our struggle for freedom of speech.  It is this type of invasion of privacy that is most hideous and hard to ferret out.

When freedom of speech is limited to those who divulge private information in order to buy that right and basic freedom (see: In particular 6.7.12 & 19 --  http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/ ) we violate every tenet of inalienable human rights.

Our security in our persons is a cornerstone of our ability to make public what was private in order to create speech that is meaningful.  The adamant active protection of the concept that we must not, can not, and shall not give up one Right to receive another is paramount.

Without basic privacy we give away our ultimate power of freedom of thought.  It is in our privacy that we become who we are as individuals. It is in the nurturing of that individualism that we find all good in womankind and even mankind.

Paul Lehtos' pieces on Rights and Yahuda Katz's writings regarding same should be required reading here. Not for the correctness and  accuracy of their opines but to broaden and create a more understanding acceptance of these issues.

(sorry for my pontithication -- and no those are not quotes but my own,,, I can blame no one)